It was probably a cigarette butt, carelessly thrown away, that started violent fires near Gabian last week. Because of the prolonged draught (we haven't had any rain for weeks) the Garrigue burned like scale. Stormy winds made the fire come very close to La Grange. They could be stopped only a very short distance from the cellar.
We cannot praise the courageous commitment of the firefighters enough; two of them suffered serious injuries. They used the water from the La Grange pool to extinguish the fire, a scant meters away from the sheep shed.
They also lit the harvested field next to La Grange as a counter-fiere.
The edges of the vineyards right above the cellar have been charred, but our winemaker Thomas assures us that the plants will recover until next year.
No building has been damaged, everyone is well, even the sheep, and a wine tasting could be held at the winery the same day. The present firefighters were applauded repeatedly.